Spotted on Mashable:
Heart-Tugging Thai Ad Tells Epic Story in 3 Minutes
Watch the video:
ทรูมูฟ เอช ” การให้ คือการสื่อสารที่ดีที่สุด ” TrueMove H : Giving
It’s only Tuesday, but this ad for a telecom in Thailand may be the best thing you’ll watch all week.
The spot weaves a story about kindness rewarded over the course of 30 years. While the tale could have been rendered maudlin, it instead receives a cinematic treatment that is genuinely affecting. Many commenters raved that the ad is “better than a Hollywood movie” and that it made them cry.
If you didn’t want the video, here are some screenshots of what happened:
1. The video begins with a boy being caught stealing from a pharmacy and labelled a thief
2. A cafe owner intervenes and pays for the medicine that the boy was stealing for his mum
3. The film jumps forward 30 years – to the horror of the cafe owner collapsing and ending up unconscious in hospital
4. The man’s daughter is distraught at the size of the medical bill she’s been hit with
5. The daughter eventually receives a note from the doctor in charge of her father’s case that explains that his act of kindness all those years ago has reduced the bill to zero
In less than a week, the ad has garnered more than 5 million views on YouTube. Perhaps the only criticism is that the pitch for the telecom, True Corporation, is a bit jarring at the end. After all, what does the story have to do with a paid phone service?
Oh gosh, seriously – that really made me tear up in the office as I watched it.
It’s such a simple story, but yet so moving. Well, kindness indeed can go a long way(: