Random News, Singapore News

21-year-old man is first dengue fatality this year // RIP

Updated: 31 May 13

First dengue death: He waited 5 hours at TTSH’s emergency department, says mum

According to The Straits Times, his mother, Madam Yap Geok Kuan, 45, said after waiting for five hours, he left to go to a general practitioner near his home. On Saturday night, Mr Ang was eventually admitted to TTSH and by Monday he was transferred to the hospital’s intensive care unit, where he died three days later of dengue shock syndrome.

This year alone, more than 8,000 people have come down with dengue fever. Since Sunday, 458 have fallen ill. 

Mr Ang Yong Hong, 20, lived at block 103 in Hougang Avenue 1, one of the dengue clusters in the current dengue epidemic. NEA inspectors will be sent to the area to conduct the vector control operations.

Credits: STOMP Singapore


Spotted on AsiaOne:

21-year-old man is first dengue fatality this year

SINGAPORE – A 21-year-old man has become the first dengue fatality from the current epidemic.

A post on Cuesports Singapore’s Facebook page identified him as Mr Ang Yong Han from their pool fraternity. Cuesports Singapore is the national body for pool, snooker and billiards.

Shin Min Daily News reported that Mr Ang had been suffering from dengue fever for the past three days in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU).According to the Chinese daily, he is an only son and a recent graduate from a local Institute of Technical Education.

His 56-year-old aunt identified as Miss Ye said that her nephew had been fine when he had gone to the dentist on May 22 for a routine dental check-up. However, he suddenly developed a high fever that would not subside when he returned home. His father subsequently took him to a hospital emergency department, but he was discharged after being put on a drip.

On Friday, Mr Ang was sent to the emergency department again, but as he felt uncomfortable, he opted to return home. It was only when his fever became much worse on Monday that he was admitted to hospital and sent to the ICU. There, doctors discovered that he was suffering from dengue fever.

His aunt told the Chinese daily that her nephew’s case was complicated by internal bleeding and his condition rapidly deteriorated on Tuesday.The doctors fought to try to save Mr Ang, but he passed away yesterday at 7am. His funeral will be held at Blk 103, Hougang Ave 1 until Friday morning.

Credits:AsiaOne Health

My deepest condolences to his family.

Dengue is really something not to be taken lightly especially since the start of the year, and The Straits Times has been reporting of the dengue epidermic in Singapore as seen below:

How you can help prevent dengue around your surroundings:

As mentioned before here, Stay safe and take care!

Till later,
♥ mitsueki

Author: mitsueki

Hello! I'm mitsueki aka Daphne and I blog at mitsueki.sg! Follow me on IG for more updates too!

Leave a Reply