Random News, World News

Beauty therapist British backpacker, 23, dies in Indonesia after she drank poisoned alcohol she thought was GIN

Spotted on The Daily Mail UK:

Beauty therapist British backpacker, 23, dies in Indonesia after she drank poisoned alcohol she thought was GIN
By JILL REILLY

  • Cheznye Emmons, from Great Wakering, Essex, died in Sumatra in April
  • Fell ill after drinking from bottle labelled ‘gin’ that turned out to be methanol
  • Beauty therapist had been travelling across south Asia with boyfriend
  • Parents flew out and made the heartbreaking decision to turn off life support

A British backpacker has died after drinking poisoned alcohol whilst trekking in the Indonesian jungle.

Cheznye Emmons, from Great Wakering, Essex, fell ill after drinking from a bottle labelled ‘gin’ that later turned out to be filled with deadly methanol. The 23-year-old had been travelling across south Asia with her boyfriend Joe Cook, 21, and a male friend the couple had met on their travels when they bought the tainted alcohol from a local shop in Indonesia.

Terrifying: Cheznye Emmons tragically died after drinking from a bottle labelled 'gin' that later turned out to be filled with deadly methanol Terrifying: Cheznye Emmons tragically died after drinking from a bottle labelled ‘gin’ that later turned out to be filled with deadly methanol
Trip of a lifetime:Trip of a lifetime: The 23-year-old had been travelling across south Asia with her boyfriend Joe Cook, 21, and a male friend the couple had met on their travels when they bought the tainted alcohol from a local shop in Indonesia. Methanol is extremely poisonous and is known to cause kidney failure, blindness, seizures and death- as little as 30ml can be deadly for an adult.

High taxes have pushed up prices of manufactured wine, beer and spirits in the Muslim country encouraging a long-standing practice of stretching spirits with the locally made spirit known as arak – but some immoral suppliers are going further, adding to the local spirits with the poisonous methanol.

Tragically, Miss Emmons’ death is not a unique case – in 2009, 25 people – including two Brits died after drinking a batch of methanol-tainted ‘arak’ in Bali.

Trip of a lifetimeDangers: Methanol is extremely poisonous and is known to cause kidney failure, blindness, seizures and death– as little as 30ml can be deadly for an adult
A British backpacker has died after drinking poisoned alcohol whilst trekking in the Indonesian jungle
British backpacker Cheznye Emmons, 23, is killed by drinking poisoned
Family: Miss Emmons called Chez by her friends, is the youngest of four siblings
Difficult: On April 25, Emmons' parents Pamela and Brenton made the heart-breaking decision to turn off her life support after flying out to be with herDifficult: On April 25, Emmons’ parents Pamela and Brenton made the heart-breaking decision to turn off her life support after flying out to be with her

Deadly: Within days the beauty therapist, from Great Wakering, Essex, complained of not being able to see and was rushed to the nearest eye clinicDeadly: Within days the beauty therapist, from Great Wakering, Essex, complained of not being able to see and was rushed to the nearest eye clinic

RISING TOURIST DEATH TOLL: DANGERS OF FAKE ALCOHOL IN INDONESIA

Alcoholic drinks contain pure alcohol, known as ethanol, but not methanol. Methanol is a toxic chemical component that can be used for fuel, as an ingredient in formaldehyde, plastics and paints or as an anti-freeze or solvent. In recent years cheap homemade local alcohol and even apparent international brand name spirits are being contaminated with methanol – a poison you can’t taste or smell. 

High taxes have pushed up prices of manufactured wine, beer and spirits in the Muslim country encouraging a long-standing practice of stretching spirits with the locally made spirit known as arak – but some immoral suppliers are going further, adulterating those local spirits with the poisonous methanol.

In 2009 two Britons were among 25 people to die in Indonesia after drinking palm wine spiked with methanol. Alan Cole, 59, and Rose Johnson, 48, died in separate incidents after consuming traditional arak. Rachel Craig, 22, from Ireland and her boyfriend Rene Puper, 23, who was Dutch, were also among the dead.

In June last year Swede Johan Lundin, 28, was poisoned by a mojito laced with methanol. His fiancee, Michaela Pechac, watched in horror as he died. In December an Australian schoolgirl was blinded after drinking a tainted cocktail while on a trip to Bali. An 18-year-old boy was also temporarily blinded during a trip to Bali in November. In February 19 year-old Liam Davies from Perth died a vodka mixer was laced with methanol in Lombok.

All three travellers fell ill within hours of consuming the toxic substance as they camped in the jungle. But within days the beauty therapist took a turn for the worst and complained of not being able to see her boyfriend. They went to seek medical help, but it was several hours travelling through the jungle before she reached an eye clinic. On arrival Miss Emmons was immediately referred to a hospital in Medan, Sumatra, where she was placed in an induced coma.

On April 25, Emmons’ parents Pamela and Brenton made the heart-breaking decision to turn off her life support after flying out to be with her. Miss Emmons called Chez by her friends, is the youngest of four siblings. She has two sisters, Bianca, 34, and Measha, 26 and a brother Michael, 33

Devastated Michael said: ‘It just doesn’t seem real. We’re all just in shock. From what we understand, the shop would have poured the gin out of the original bottle and then replaced it with methanol. It was in the original bottle with the gin label on it. As far we’re aware, the shop which sold the alcohol has been shut down and there’s a police investigation. The British embassy is also looking into it.’

We just hope it doesn’t get swept under the carpet like some of these things do. To be honest, it’s still all a bit surreal for me at the moment. I’m back at work this week and just trying my best to support my parents and two sisters and the rest of the family. It’s devastating, but I don’t think I’ve let reality sink in yet. It still doesn’t seem true.’

The number of tourists dying from alcohol poisoning in Indonesia is rising. Last June Swede Johan Lundin, 28, was poisoned by a mojito laced with methanol after drinking at a bar on Gili Trawangan island near Bali. His fiancee, Michaela Pechac, watched in horror as he died.

‘In the middle of the night everything came to an end,’ she told The NT News. I was running around the streets trying to find any help I could get but no one could be found. No one wants to see someone you love die in front of your eyes.We were getting married next year and had our whole future in front of us and now it’s all gone.’

Death:
Death: After falling illl Miss Emmons trekked through the jungle to get help. She was referred to a hospital in Medan, Sumatra, where she was placed in an induced coma and later died
Devastated:Devastated: Miss Emmons, with brother Michael. He said: ‘We’re all just in shock. ‘We just hope it doesn’t get swept under the carpet like some of these things do’Read more: The Daily Mail UK

This is really scary..so be careful what you drink in Indonesia especially with regards to alcoholic drinks.

Till later,
♥ mitsueki

Author: mitsueki

Hello! I'm mitsueki aka Daphne and I blog at mitsueki.sg! Follow me on IG for more updates too!

Leave a Reply